I wanted to provide a little bit of insight for why the story below feels to pertainent to me right now.
Essentially, I am the stream and the sands are everything new that I experience. I left my home in Carolina del Norte and arrived in Chile wanting to keep a firm grip on my identity while at the same time gaining new insight and knowledge about the Spanish language and Chilean culture. Of course, the possibility of "losing one´s individuality" (identity) when traveling and changing in someway is thrilling but also nerve wracking, considering that you never know how you´ll turn out afterwards.
It did not want to lose its individuality. And once having lost it, how was one to know that it could bever be regained?
The stream (not yet a river, obviously still young) wants to cross the desert in the ways that it knows. The whisper says to the stream that it cannot remain the same stream it is today under any circumstances.
Your essential part is carried away and forms a stream again. You are called what you are today because you do not know which part of you is the essential one."
Why fight changes when we don´t know how our future will turn out anyway? Traveling, adopting new customs and relinquishing old ones seems to me to be one of the truest forms of discovering which part of me is essentially Gillian. The act of being carried away by the wind, no matter how timid or unsure I may be, will carry on the essential parts of me and leave only residue -- bits fallen off, discarded, no longer important to who I am -- in its path.
I remember being young and in the backseat of a warm minivan during a rainstorm. Perhaps I am coming back with my family from a late night dinner party, or driving home from the airport. Rain batters the windshield as the wipers pump out a persistant rhythmic shlosh. On my window highlighted by the highway streetlights the rain patters, racing down and out of site. One drop falls, picking up speed as it connects with others, zig zagging across the window leaving behind only a trace of liquid residue. In that moment I connect with that one drop and cheer it on as it skids and skirts past all others. It disappears from view and is immediatly forgotten as my eyes dart to the top of the window to cheer on another little stream. Hours of raindrop races pass. And then we pull into our driveway.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow...I love this.
ReplyDeleteAs I read your thinking, I'm reminded by our recent conversation about your tendency to worry about the future. You write: "Why fight changes when we don´t know how our future will turn out anyway".
My hope for you is to add a corollary. "Why worry about the future when I know that I'm going to be a central part of it. Its not going to happen without me. AND I have the all the wisdom, flexibility, and resources to ensure a positive outcome....though it might not be the outcome I expected or would have engineered."
Gillian - You don't know me, but I'm a childhood friend of your father. I have been vicariously experiencing your adventure through your blog. This is an amazing post. It has reawakened many feelings, thoughts and memories for me. Like the stream, everything we touch is changed by our touch as we ourselves are also changed. Rarely has anything in my life turned out as I might have "planned" it. Although I do still worry about the future (or just worry in general), I have become fascinated by the process of my life and the many surprises, big and small, that have shaped it. I hope you don't mind my comments here, but your words touched me, and I wanted to let you know.
ReplyDeleteSusan Schoettle
Susan,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comment! Of course I don´t mind, I LOVE hearing feedback from others, especially famous friends from my father´s childhood. I´m so glad you enjoyed the story as much as I did.
Dad says I remind him of you, did you know that?