Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Power of Now

I promise (although I can´t really promise) that this is the last philosophical thing I´m going to put on here for a while. I´ll give it a break, I swear. It´s just that when I have so much thinking time, I´m more susceptible to find things that are meaningful to me on many levels.

So I was at my friend Margarita´s (Peggy´s) house yesterday and she travels with a book called The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It asks simple questions and proposes thoughtful answers.

"Does it matter whether we achieve our purpose, whether we succeed or fail in the world?

It will matter to you as long as you haven´t realized your inner purpose. After that, the outer purpose is just a game that you may continue to play simply because you enjoy it."

Margarita read this quote to me and struck me as unbelievably true. There are times when I think I think I realize a glimmer of what my inner purpose may be, my reason for being in this world. At these moments I feel so carefree, so joyous. One time I was at camp and had just spent the entire rest hour writing in my journal about what I hoped for in life, in my future. Afterwards, I was so inspired and filled with energy that I left my cabin in full sprint at the clang of the bell. Running as fast as possible seemed to be the very best I could do to express the surge of energy and inspiration that filled me at that moment. If this is but a glimmer of my inner purpose, I can´t even imagine the motional fireworks of discovering one´s true reason for being on this Earth. Even if it doesn´t reach me until the day that I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment