Monday, January 18, 2010

Pizza a la Parrilla

If any of you have been following my pictures on Facebook, you´ll certainly know something about my obsession with cultures and the food that they eat. One fun thing about living and working on a farm that is also a hostel is that I get to meet lots of people sometimes we share our meals together. I met this really nice couple (Julia and Juan) and they invited me to eat with them several times. On of the last nights that they were here we made pizza on the grill (la parrilla)... and when I say we made pizza, I mean that we made like 5!

Back home, our family has never been able to fine a pizza crust recipe that suits us. I´m about to solve that problem. Juan shared his recipe with me. It may be a little hard to follow (considering that the measurements are in grams) but I did the best that I could to translate it. It might sound funnily worded, remember that I wrote it translating as he instructed haha. So family or whomever is reading this, here it is.

Ingredients (for 4 balls of dough)
1 kg of flour (non-rising)
50 gr. of yeast (this might need some tweaking because the yeast they use comes in a packet... it isn´t a powder... see what you can do.)
Water with a little bit of salt (called "salmuera")
Vegetable oil

For the sauce
500 gr. Tomato paste
Ground pepper
Oregano
Heat sauce in sauce pan before applying to pizza
Whatever toppings you want (fresh cheese or motzarella)

To make the crust:
Put almost all of the flour in a bowl. Mix in the yeast, a bit of oil, and a "chorro" (like a dash or a glug) of water... stir with a fork
Mix until you feel that it´s a bit sticky but it shouldn´t be runny at all... it should stick to your hands but have form.
Start adding flour so that it´s no longer sticky, but spongy. Knead the dough.
Put in a big bowl with some flour (so that it doesn´t stick) and cover with a dish towl
For thin crust, let it sit for about an hour and a half
For thick crust, let it sit for less time, like 40 or 45 minsCut the dough into 4 balls, roll each out with a rolling pin (with flour on the counter and on the dough... obvious but I´m putting it down anyway)

When the dough is rolled out an into a pizza shape, paint the top with sauce and put into the oven... I think that 475 degrees F is about what you want.
(I don´t know the degrees for the oven considering that we did this on a grill with coals underneath -- also a good way to do this.)... This attached basic pizza dough recipe which might explain a few of the steps I´m trying to say.

http://www.cooking.com/Recipes-And-More/RecDetail.aspx?rid=1044
When you look at the bottom and the crust is pretty much all the way cooked, take the crust out and put on the sauce (sauce should be heated! very important!) and the rest of the ingredients! Then put back into the oven until cheese has melted.
Pizza 1: Queso, tomate, abahaca, ajo (cheese, tomato, basil, garlic)

Pizza 2: queso y rúcula

Pizza 3: queso, cebolla, ajo (cheese, onion, garlic) Dad this one had your name all over it.


Juan (chef) with pizza 4: Queso, abahaca, tomate, chorizo (cheese, basil, tomato, fresh sausage)
Pizza 5 not featured, but it was cheese.

1 comment: